Friday, March 09, 2007

The remains

Well, this is what happened.

I am now triply qualified (jeez). And licensed in large swathes of the world. There are no more exams left. Zilch. Unless I am insane enough to go repeat everything someplace where they recognize only their own, that is.

This is supposed to make me feel happy, light-headed, relieved et al. But no, it leaves me restless (intellectually), strangely inert (physically) and mildy unnerved at this weird wtf state of being. No amount of weird booze works. I mean, not plonk, not Islays, not Speysides, not arak, not the ladys Limonicello and Sambuca, not mead from Glastonbury, nor cheap XXX rum. Not even toddy or my dads brandy. Watching 5 movies back to back, Almodovar box sets, Femi Kuti concerts, listening to Bill Bryson and Alain de Botton on the pod, sleeping, reading, taking a 4 week career break etc. were all deployed. Look, I tried. It did'nt bloody work.


Then the visa thing explodes. Turns out I am safe, but that is'nt just it. In fact, that makes it worse. A doctor takes his life. This gets me worried. I get involved. More wtf days follow. Some medics at the academic group I run start piling on, big time. I can understand their anxiety, but it starts getting to me. I am beginning to feel permanently pissed off. Not nice.

Since it's all getting a bit too much, I travel. End up in a pretty remote part of India, eventually. That helps, to an extent. I go looking for an old lady, the wife of a poet who was part of my childhood. Turns out she is dementing and blind. No one appears to be too keen to look after her. Even my dad says, 'there's no point going, she can't see you or recognize you'. Well. When the poet died, the State Government erected memorials and politicians made speeches. The literary mags ran commemorative issues and obits. They had'nt had kids. Now she's alone. A retired professor of mathematics at a University, unable to handle everyday money. Not nice at all. Then a nephew is located, who appears concerned. She's despatched to the nephew. Respite. Then went in search of another old lady (there's an old people fetish at work). Turns out she is severely depressed and in pseudodementia. So, I end up making phone calls, negotiating with assorted relatives I'd much rather whack, speaking to old Professors, sorting out care. Eventually, I call time, and go and meet some family and an old friend from med school. The friend has quit medicine, runs an investors club and is trading on the stockmarket. I remember that he'd made his first million rupees at 17. It all now falls into place. One week there is good. Then I hear about another old friend, this time from college; gay, former muse to a famous playwright who writes in English, now dying of AIDS. I published his first story, about a padre who falls in love with another padre. This got both of us into trouble with a lot of other padres. Including the ones who ran the college. He's untraceable. By now I am beginning to miss the Lady.

In the meantime, the visa thing gets fixed. I also get interviews wherever I apply. This, when there are masses of doctors who have'nt even got one interview. Significant feelings of guilt.

By now, I decide that my original career plans vis a vis policy and finance isnt really worth it. But the way medicine is changing, nurses and social workers and therapists and researchers and doctors and academics are rapidly being rendered irrelevant by money and managers. I am told to come up with a 'business plan' for my academic group. Wtf is that? So, now, I go to a 'Top MBA Fair', where I wonder whether an MBA will give me the skills to effect changes in healthcare at the level I am interested in. That is, rather than thru the circuitous, conventional path laid out for me, which is PhD, Lecturership, Chair and so on. I have no desire to do a PhD. Besides, I have never done anything the conventional way. So, will an MBA lead to our own thinktank ? Then the lady can become its face and me the backroom boy. Is this fantasy? But I'd sure love to kick some MBA butt at LBS;-) Just for the heck of it, hey.

With my mind drifting like this, will I blow all my interviews?

I am good, hey. C'mon, gimme my mojo for one last party.

Time to hit the books again.

But what about the Lady? She's quickly and justifiably losing patience with me and the British system, and me being in a wtf mood doesn't help. She suspects that she may have to compromise on her ambitions, but this is unthinkable. Besides, she's cleverer and far more capable than I ever will be. Which makes the option also completely unacceptable. So, now we have to stop thinking you/I, start thinking 'we' in every way, strategically plan our lives this year, the primary goal being that she returns to the fast track by the end of the year. I also need to effectively and efficiently action some support rather than merely spout it. If she walks, I'll have only myself to blame. I love her, you know. Very much. She's a superstar:)

Fingers crossed.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can identify with your situation so totally from where I am right now! Hm, looks like this year will be an interesting one. Its had a strange start, and it feels as if it's going to be an year of changes...of new directions taken. Lets see which way we're headed by the time the year is through.

Till then, cheer up and do what you gotta do. It's a year of happy changes, so it'll ensure that you're bearable enough to make the Lady stay. :)

All the best for the interviews. We want a celebration soon.

Cheers,
~N.

Monday, March 12, 2007  
Blogger A and A said...

Screw the sambuca. Beer, man, beer!!! Works wonders like no other. Go find a hot afternoon and kick back with a cold one. Bliss. And all the best for everything up ahead sir! And if you find yourself anywhere near my part of the world, gimme a holler! :)

Monday, March 12, 2007  
Blogger milieu said...

Good luck, hope things work out the best way for you.
As for the MBA part, I think (a nonMBA speaking!), an MBA is more of a way to make contacts etc. The 'best' manager in the world (jack welch of GE) never did an MBA!

This post was whew! almost like reading a novel.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007  
Blogger Vijayeta said...

Lovely post!
And especially the last few sentences.
(So, now we have to stop thinking you/I, start thinking 'we' in every way...) Co-incidence is, i'm currently working on a film called Main, Tum aur Hum and the moral of that story is: Superstars are total keepers! No matter what!
:D

Wednesday, March 14, 2007  
Blogger A and A said...

Oi! I'm back!!! Come and visit me sometime! :)

Monday, March 19, 2007  
Blogger nevermind said...

N. thanks. And good luck to you too:) Blogging makes for unexpected common ground, huh?!

Oi, WT, did too much beer last month, the effects of which is causing an unfamiliar strain on the waistband (and in a certain ladys mind, eliciting subtle hints like, 'Shall I register you for the 10 mile run in April?') But we must do some drinking in Mahabs or the Cove sometime.

Hi, Sreekumar, thanks, mate. I like medicine, but am getting fed up with doctors, who are frighteningly linear in the way they think. I know, it was a bit like a novel, my crazy fricking trip into stress, running away from more stress. And I'm obviously no Jack Welch, I need training to think differently.

Hi, Vij, watched Koffee with Karan in India, and the bugger's sooooo camp;-), Mallika Sherawat was so self-conscious (and a bit dumb)and SLB was so tactful, it was great fun just watching 'em bounce off each other. As for the Superstar, I feel like grabbing the system and yelling, 'She's a Superstar, you shitheads, just give her a great job, she's going to be famous someday, can't you see that, you shits.' Right, got that off my chest:-)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007  
Blogger nevermind said...

And thanks:)

Tuesday, March 20, 2007  
Blogger A and A said...

Riiiiiiiiight!!! I can totally understand that! And Mahabs sounds super!! The Cove is waaaaaaaaay outta my pocket!!! if you've heard of Moonrakers, we could go there...pick up a bottle of Scotch and really get down to business! :) I'm all for it! :D

Tuesday, March 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks :)

Common grounds: I wonder whether it goes to show that inspite of all the surface differences,deep inside people are basically similar; or that in the sea of strangers, like-minded people tend to group together?

The Cove? Are you still in India? What about the interviews you were supposed to have? I thought they were in the UK..

~N.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007  
Blogger twip said...

You guys are planning to get together and drink at the Cove?

Damn you. I'm stuck in the yoo yess.

Sigh.

*sulks*

Saturday, March 24, 2007  
Blogger nevermind said...

Hi N, no they're in the UK, as I am. The drink thing was just a potential future plan.

Well, Punkster, you're not going to be stuck there for ever, are you:)?

Monday, March 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.